RAW or DNG

General discussion about all things Photography

Moderator: sven

RAW or DNG

You may select up to 2 options

View results

RAW or DNG

Postby richard on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:39 pm

I thought it was time for another poll. I shoot only RAW images. However, when I import my photos to my library I convert them to DNG. I wonder how many other Photographers convert or keep their camera proprietary RAW format. I am also curious in hearing how people convert to DNG as well.
richard

Re: RAW or DNG

Postby jbron on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Richard, thanks for the poll and congrats for being the featured photographer this month ;)
I shoot only raw and keep them in native format (Nikon NEF). But I regularly wonder if this is the right way...Hoping we'll still have software tools for reading proprietary file format in ten or twenty years from now...
My photoblog is at http://photoblog.jacquesbron.com/. Don't hesitate to leave a comment. Thanks.
jbron

Re: RAW or DNG

Postby richard on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 pm

jbron

Thanks for the reply and the comments. Even at this early stage of voting on this poll Im surprised that most keep images as RAW and not convert to DNG.

To help illustrate why I convert my images, look at the image that shows 2 files of the same iamge, 1 DNG and 1 RAW, note the file size of each. With thousands of images, Iamgine the space saving alone

richard

Return to General